Imbalance of hormones during your period can cause many symptoms
Do you have premenstrual symptoms, and want to find out how to eliminate them?
In another post, we reviewed how hormones during period fluctuate to control the Monthly Flow.
In this post, we will discuss, more in depth, how imbalances between these hormones might not necessarily disrupt your flow, but could be at the root of your sore boobs, back, or terrible moodiness pre-cycle.
How do we balance the hormones during period.
I, like many, thought that sore boobs were an expected inconvenience, that was necessary to be endured if you were gifted to have a uterus at birth. But, after chatting with Erin Borbet, I learned that no, this is a Western (specifically American) idea, that we must be miserable on our periods, and that in Chinese medicine, the only symptoms of a monthly cycle ought to be light to moderate bleeding for 3-5 days.
I’m going to repeat that for those in the back:
From a Chinese Medicine Perspective, the only symptoms of a menstrual cycle should be light to moderate bleeding for 3-5 days. No cramping, no moodiness. Just the bleeding.
I want that. I want that for me, and I want that for you.
I want less symptoms with my monthly flow: Teach me how to stabilize the hormones during period
Will do. Let’s break it down by Phase to make it easier. Remember to check out my earlier post that gave a 10,000ft view of hormones during period.
This one is more about symptoms, and how lifestyle choices we make, can help contribute to a less painful, more safe, more enjoyable period!
1. The Menstrual Phase (Bleedy Part): Western Perspective
1. The Menstrual Phase (Bleedy Part): Eastern Perspective
2. Between Menstruation and Ovulation: Western Perspective
An important note about NSAID use (at anytime throughout the cycle, but greatest potential effect will be seen here):
2. Between Menstruation and Ovulation: Eastern Perspective
3. Ovulation (mid-cycle, around day 14): Western Perspective
3. Ovulation (mid-cycle, around day 14): : Eastern Perspective
4. Between Ovulation & Next Period: Western Perspective
Many PMS-PMD symptoms are present here (headaches, moodiness, sore boobs, back, etc). So this can be a great time of the month to guage your progress from last month.
4. Between Ovulation & Next Period: Eastern Perspective
What is the ONE thing I can do to help balance the hormones during my period, and minimize negative symptoms?
Here are 4 great places to start:
- Sleep and stress load. This is number one. All the supplementation and exercise in the world won’t reduce your symptoms, if your stress-sleep cycle is terrible. Realistically look at your life. How are you sleeping? How are you eating? Are you happy? (no pressure there, but seriously, just consider).
- Minimize plastics. They significantly alter balance of hormones of your period. Can you reduce the single use plastic in your life by 25%? 50%? More?
- Reduce Other Environmental Load: Beauty Products, Tampons, Detergents. Are they organic? How much do you use, how often? Chemicals buildling up in your system will not be beneficial to the hormones during your period.
- Food-Nutrition: Literally the building blocks of your body. Do you know where your meat comes from? Were extra hormones utilized in the production of the meat? If so, they could be throwing your hormonal balance during your period way off. Not all meat is bad, but consider its origin and life cycle. Can you obtain cleaner protein? Or a better source for your meat?
Check out my Pelvic Floored Signature Lecture Series for a much more in depth training in everything related to your pelvic floor! And be on the lookout for a website upgrade in late 2022 (new site will be orange!!), where fresh classes will launch, some that ‘may’ pertain to this topic 🙂 🙂
Thanks for reading! If you haven’t already, please follow me on Instagram, join my mailing list to be kept up to date on other AMAZING blog posts with practical tips for improving your pelvic (and overall) health! Mailing list subscribers also get first notice and exclusive discounts to Pelvic Floored products, as well as access to subscriber only events! Don’t miss out! Sign up Today!